Game Jam returns for 2021
Feb 10-24. Reimagine iconic Atari games for the Retro Arcade
Join the Retro Arcade Launch Party
9pm UTC, February 10
Free POAP and Atari wearables
As you will have seen in previous communications, like this blog post, Atari is coming to Decentraland. The pioneering video game creator is to occupy a large Estate in the metaverse for the creation of a giant retro arcade featuring classic Atari games, like Breakout and Pong.
And you get to make the games!
Atari has given use of its IP to the Decentraland developer community in order for you to recreate classic Atari games. This doesn’t mean you should craft back-catalogue bangers like Asteroids, Frogger or Crystal Castles into pixel-perfect replications. Judges will be looking at how you’ve reimagined them for the virtual world of Decentraland.
High score, much MANA
Atari is making a generous contribution to the prize pool, meaning the top ten finalists will share in a total prize pool of over $20k USD worth of MANA, LAND and ATARI tokens:
First place: MANA /ATRI (~ $5000 USD value) + LAND
Second place: MANA /ATRI (~ $3000 USD value) + LAND
Third place: MANA /ATRI (~ $2500 USD value) + LAND
Fourth place: MANA /ATRI (~ $1500 USD value)
Fifth place: MANA /ATRI (~ $1000 USD value)
Places 6th to 10th: MANA /ATRI (~ $500 USD value)
How to hit the leaderboard
Be creative with your ideas. While it will be cool to see Atari games copied perfectly in 2D pixel art, modernised 3D versions that use the SDK features to the full and provide a unique experience for a virtual audience will earn maximum kudos.
Judges from Atari and Decentraland will be casting their eyes over your creations. They’ll be awarding points based on the following criteria:
- Overall Idea — (50 Points)
- Game Design — (20 Points)
- Wow Factor — (20 Points)
- Interactivity — (20 Points)
- Bonus Points — (25 Points)
- Submit your scene using the Atari/Matic payment system
- You don’t need to own LAND to participate. All quality Game Jam scenes will be deployed to the Atari arcade area in Decentraland, but if you do own LAND you can deploy scenes to your own property
- Scenes submitted should have a significant part of them developed during the two weeks of Game Jam. You should clarify if you reused any prior work as part of the scene
- Scenes need to be interactive, meaning that the player can perform actions that have a meaningful impact on the scene
- You’re encouraged to share the code used in your scene, but this is not required. You can instead share a playable link to your scene
- If your scene consists of a game with rules that aren’t obvious, you should provide instructions, either in-world or in the submit form
- You will retain all the rights to assets and code after submitting your scene. You can also open-source the code
Hit the Decentraland Events page for cool happenings around the Atari Game Jam, including the launch of the Retro Arcade (49,36) on Feb 10 at 9pm UTC.
Atari, composed of Atari SA and its subsidiaries, is a global interactive entertainment and multiplatform licensing group. The true innovator of the video game, founded in 1972, Atari owns and/or manages a portfolio of more than 200 games and franchises, including globally known brands such as Asteroids®, Centipede®, Missile Command® and Pong®. From this important portfolio of intellectual properties, Atari delivers attractive online games for smartphones, tablets, and other connected devices. Atari also develops and distributes interactive entertainment for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo game consoles. Atari also leverages its brand and franchises with licensing agreements through other media, derivative products and publishing.
Please submit your entries using this form by the 24th February