Game Jam is back – what will you create to rescue the festive season?
November 23 to midnight (UTC) December 7
2020 may have done its damnedest to suck the fun out of life but Decentraland is drawing the line at Xmas. There’s no way this annus horribilis is going to get the best of the festive season. Which is why the metaverse is playing host to one last Game Jam for the year – and we’re bringing in a heavy hitter to make this event one for the ages.
Matic is making a generous contribution to the prize pool. This means that instead of a final three, there’ll be 10 – that’s right TEN – finalists sharing in a total prize pool of around $20k USD worth of MANA, LAND and Badges. Here’s how it breaks down:
- First place: 40000 MANA (~ $3000 USD value) + LAND + Gold Special Badge
- Second place: 32000 MANA (~ $2500 USD value) + LAND + Silver Special Badge
- Third place: 26000 MANA (~ $2000 USD value) + LAND + Bronze Special Badge
- Fourth place: 20000 MANA (~ $1500 USD value) + LAND + Special Badge
- Fifth place: 13000 MANA (~ $1000 USD value) + LAND + Special Badge
- Places 6th to 10th: 7000 MANA (~ $500 USD value) + Special Badge
Plus, we’re adding two new prizes to the mix…
Best New Creator: Special Badge + 13000 MANA ($1000 USD value) + LAND
Community Prize: Special Badge + 13000 MANA ($1000 USD value) + LAND (To be eligible for this prize, the creator must deploy the scene in-world and host a launch event for the community. Attendees vote on proposals by signing the scene’s guest book. The submission with the most votes wins (goes without saying but some people have a hard time understanding this concept).
How yule save Xmas…
The aim is to essentially create the most entertaining experiences for the Decentraland community, to spread as much joy as possible and turn the metaverse into the merryverse in time for Xmas.
- You’ll be judged on your overall idea, game design, interactivity, wow factor and more. There’ll also be bonus points if you submit your scene using Matic.
- You don’t need to own LAND to participate. All Game Jam scenes will be deployed to Decentraland but if you do own LAND you can deploy scenes to your own property.
- Scenes submitted should have a significant part of them developed during the two weeks of Game Jam – from November 23 until the final deadline at midnight (UTC) on December 7. You should clarify if you reused any prior work as part of the scene
- Scenes need to be interactive. By this we mean that the player can perform actions that have a meaningful impact on the scene. It’s also good if the scene connects to external APIs. You are encouraged to submit scenes that use blockchain technology.
- You’re encouraged to share the code used in your scene, but this is not required. You can instead share a playable link to your scene.
- If your scene consists of a game with rules that aren’t obvious, you should provide instructions, either in-world or in the submit form.
You will of course retain all the rights to assets and code after submitting your scene. You can also open-source the code.
They know if you’ve been bad or good…
Judges from Decentraland will be casting their eyes over your creations. They’ll be awarding points based on the following criteria:
- Overall Idea — (50 Points)
- Game Design — (20 Points)
- Wow Factor — (20 Points)
- Interactivity — (20 Points)
- Bonus Points — (20 Points). Develop your scenes using the following concepts:
- Implements Matic using the brand new SDK utils library https://github.com/decentraland/decentraland-l2-utils
- Implement multiplayer mechanics.
- Implement the NPC library https://github.com/decentraland/decentraland-npc-utils
Come all ye faithful
Remember, Game Jam kicks off on November 23 and runs until midnight UTC on December 7, which means you haven’t got long to devise your strategy and submission to save Xmas. Keep an eye for more info and helpful tutorials as we edge closer to the event. You can also check out the huge range of tutorials we created for the last Game Jam – all still relevant and full of creative goodness.
Whenever you are ready, submit your entry through this form: https://decentralandofficial.typeform.com/to/ZCWN1fFp